Last week we covered the most interesting, most complex, most watchable characters on tv. (Trust me, that comment section is one to check out.) But the lovely Amy Berner reminded us of a good point in her comment: some characters are more crushworthy than best-of worthy.
Leah suggested we take that tv crush topic and turn it a post of its own.
That’s just what we’re doing.
And, as always, we fully expect/encourage/downright beg you to share your own answers in the comment section below. You’d be shocked how much enjoyment the Smart Pop team derives from your participation on this site!
My Personal Top-Five TV Crushes:
1. Pacey Witter (Dawson’s Creek). When I re-watch Dawson’s Creek now, I cringe my way through it. This is not a timeless show, not by a long shot, and all those characters I once loved just plain annoy me, but there’s one lovely exception to all that disappointment: Pacey. He is the boyfriend we all wanted in high school: adorable, smart, funny, but with just enough self-destruction and internal angst to keep him interesting. If you didn’t think much of the character before, just try not to fall for Joshua Jackson (the actor responsible for Pacey) in this hilarious spoof video of Pacey-Con.
2. Ben Covington (Felicity). He was aloof, horribly uncommunicative, and there’s that little detail of how he sort of repeatedly broke Felicity’s heart. But, there was just something about Ben that made you melt whenever he’d walk in the room. You wanted to root for Noel! (And, hell, maybe some of you did.) Noel was the smarter choice. But, no matter what made sense on paper, could anyone really fault Felicity for choosing Ben in the end?
3. Eric Taylor (Friday Night Lights). I want to say Tim Riggins, and I won’t argue with any one of you if you say Tim Riggins, but there’s just nothing sexier than a good husband and father, is there? Eric’s both and he’s not too tough to look at, either. (He’s also not in high school, even fictitiously, and that makes me feel better about having a crush on him.)
4. Damon Salvatore (The Vampire Diaries). Oh, Damon. Ooooooh, Damon. I know he does all these bad, can-hardly-believe-it things, like kill people, but it’s just so hard to remember any of that when he starts raising his eyebrows or cracking off-colored jokes or rolling his eyes. All’s forgiven!
5. Veronica Mars (Veronica Mars). Our crushes don’t discriminate at Smart Pop. So many of you have said all there is to say about Veronica Mars: she’s snarky, she’s badass, she’s edgy, she’s smart. But, come on, she’s hot, too.
Honorable (they’re-playing-themselves) mentions: Tyler Florence from the Food Network and Phil Keoghan, host of The Amazing Race.
Do tell, who are your tv character crushes?