1) Will you be living in the Boston area this summer?
2) Are you looking for an unpaid part-time internship that will give you a great overview of book publishing (plus a legitimate excuse to watch more tv/read more sf and fantasy)?
We have the internship for you!
We’re looking for two part-time editorial and marketing interns for this summer. Our interns will work directly with Heather and I on our current and upcoming Smart Pop titles (like Beyond the Wall, The Panem Companion, and Ender’s World) and gain experience in traditional editorial and marketing tasks as well as the fast-growing field of online marketing.
Responsibilities may include:
- Putting together editorial feedback on manuscripts
- Copyediting and proofreading
- Drafting back cover copy and marketing materials
- Researching future titles
- Researching and pitching marketing leads
- Assisting in maintaining aspects of online marketing, including our websites and social media accounts
- Other miscellaneous editorial and marketing support
However, additional responsibilities will NOT include:
- Physical mailings
- Answering phones
Due to office space constraints, our interns will meet with us in person in Harvard Square in Cambridge once a week, and otherwise work independently on their own schedules.
Ideally, the internship will begin in early May and last through end of August, with possible extension into fall semester.
We’re looking for well-organized, detail-oriented, self-directed college juniors/seniors or graduate students who are passionate about books and interested in learning about the publishing industry. An interest in YA literature, television, science fiction and fantasy, and/or film is, unsurprisingly, a plus!
Applicants must have an outstanding command of the English language and excellent research skills. Competency in Microsoft Word and strong familiarity with Twitter and Facebook are required. Proficiency with WordPress and basic HTML is a plus, as are any graphic skills.
Given the nature of the internship, applicants must be able to work effectively without direct supervision.
Send your r©sum©, cover letter, and two writing samples by April 18 to me, Smart Pop Editor-in-Chief Leah Wilson, at firstname.lastname@example.org.