Though our parent publisher BenBella has exhibited at Comic-Con before, this will be Smart Pop’s first year with a booth–and we’re jumping in feet (or is that spines?) first. Jennifer, Heather, and I will be in San Diego for four days (plus preview night!) packed with signings and giveaways for our 2011 titles. You’ll find us at B-4, in the back right corner of the exhibit hall.
You can download our official Comic-Con press release here but we wanted to take some time here to give you guys a sneak peek–not just of the high-profile highlights, but also the various extras that didn’t make the press release . . . plus the opportunities we’ll be making available for those of you following the con from home via Twitter, Facebook, media, and blogs.
This is a long post, so to make it a little easier to navigate:
But the short version? We’re giving away more than 1000 free books!
We’re very pleased to have the following authors and editors joining us for in-booth author signings:
James Lowder, plus contributors Scott Kenemore, Steven Schlozman, and Ned Vizzini
Signing advance galleys of Triumph of The Walking Dead
Thursday — 3-4 PM
P.C. and Kristin Cast
Signing Nyx in the House of Night
Friday — 3-4 PM
Leah Wilson, plus contributor Ned Vizzini
Signing The Girl Who Was on Fire
Sunday — 10:30 — 11:30 AM
(I’ll be at our booth for most of the convention, of course, but coming by on Sunday will also net you a free book. And a chance to make fun of my handwriting.)
Vee (of Vampire-Diaries.net), plus contributor Kiersten White
Signing A Visitor’s Guide to Mystic Falls
Sunday — 1-2 PM
George Beahm, the author of Unraveling the Mysteries of The Big Bang Theory, will be around during the con, too, and it’s looking like at least a few contributors from each of our anthologies may be joining us during the signing times, as well. (We’ll add them here, as we confirm!)
Also: Excited for P.C. and Kristin’s signing on Friday? A little birdie (or, well, something just a little bit larger) tells us that another publisher will be making a surprise announcement about the House of Night during the con. Keep your eyes peeled!
In addition to the books and advance galleys being given out at the signings, we’ll also have on-hand:
- A limited number of advance e-galleys of The Psychology of Twilight (Sunday only)
- Our 2011 Smart Pop Preview, with essays and excerpts from most of our 2011 titles
- A trio of Smart Pop buttons: our logo, the cow from the cover of FringeScience, and the apple on the couch from the cover of The Psychology of Twilight
Enter to Win
We have some gorgeous art in and on our books this year, and we couldn’t resist the opportunity to give some of it away. Booth visitors can enter to win:
- An 11×14 print of the cover illustration for Triumph of the Walking Dead, signed by artist Rafael Kayanan
- An 11×14 print of the illustration of Nyx from inside Nyx in the House of Night, signed by artist Alan Torrance
- The shirt seen here on the cover of Unraveling the Mysteries of The Big Bang Theory, designed by the always fabulous Faceout Studio
We’ll announce all winners here on our blog when we return.
We want to make sure the rest of you–the victims of circumstances, low cash flow, or last fall’s Comic-Con site crashes–also have the chance to get involved. We’re even opening this up to international entrants, something we’re usually not able to do!
First, we’ll pick one person who’s signed up for our weekly free essays mailing list before Sunday, July 24 at midnight Central time to win our whole 2011 line (so if you’re already on that list, you’re already entered to win!).
Second, we’ll be putting together Smart Pop Booth Packs–collections of the free swag at our book–to give away to two of you at home.
The pack will include pretty much everything mentioned above:
- a copy of our Smart Pop Preview 2011
- one each of the Smart Pop, Psychology of Twilight, and Fringe Science buttons
- a signed e-galley card for Triumph of The Walking Dead
- a signed copy of Nyx in the House of Night
- an e-galley card of The Psychology of Twilight
- signed copies of The Girl Who Was on Fire and A Visitor’s Guide to Mystic Falls
There are two ways to enter:
- Leave a comment on this post, telling us which of our Fall 2011 titles–see them here–you’re most interested in. (We’ll also pick five commenters to receive the book they name!)
- We’ll be tweeting throughout Comic-Con; just RT any of our con-related tweets. We’ll count each RT as an entry.
We’ll pick and announce the winners as soon as we’re back in the office.
We can’t wait, and we hope those of you who are attending will come by, say hello, and take away some free stuff. See you in San Diego!