A couple weeks ago we headed to San Diego for our fourth year of exhibiting at Comic-Con. It was equal parts exciting and busy, which you probably know all too well if you’ve ever been to the show, but it was ultimately another great year of introducing Smart Pop Books to new potential readers while having the wonderful opportunity of reconnecting with past readers and contributors.
Comic-Con was the official launch of our 2014 Smart Pop Sampler, and it was such a treat to hand out copies early in the show only to hear positive feedback from readers a day or two later! If you’re feeling a little jealous of this freebie, you can actually download a free electronic version on your e-reader of choice! Just click here.)
We hosted two in-booth signings. Janine K. Spendlove (pictued below, right), Divergent Thinking contributor, signed copies Friday afternoon and Heidi Tandy (pictured below, left, with Fic foreword writer Lev Grossman), Fic contributor, signed copies Saturday morning. It’s always fun to meet our contributors in person, often after years of working with them virtually, and these two lovely ladies were no exception. Great to see you, Janine and Heidi!
We shared our space with Jamie Chambers, of Signal Fire, and he had a packed signing schedule, as well. He hosted a few Cupcake Quarterly models, and if you haven’t checked out the magazine’s “geek” issue, you should! It was a ton of fun spending the week with Jamie, his team, and his signing guests.
We also gave away a ton of awesome things, from buttons to tote bags to magnifying glasses and more! Thank you to everyone who picked up something. It was a blast to see how many people enjoyed getting the swag as much as we enjoyed handing it out.
Finally, we have a bunch more photos in our Facebook album. Be sure to check those out!
If our recap makes you wish you could have been at the show with us, you’re not alone, but we hope our San Diego Prize Pack Giveaway will be a pretty great consolation prize. We’re giving away two packs to two lucky readers, each pack with every single thing we gave away at the show! That includes:
- A copy of Divergent Thinking (signed by editor Leah Wilson and contributor Janine K. Spendlove) and Fic (signed by contributor Heidi Tandy)
- A promotional bookmark for Divergent Thinking and Fic
- A pen, promoting Fic
- A copy of Neptune Noir, signed by editor and show creator Rob Thomas
- A copy of the 2014 Smart Pop Preview
- An exclusive preview of The Art of Eating Through the Zombie Apocalypse
- An iron-on patch, promoting our YA mystery series, The Unseemly Education of Anne Merchant
- A magnifying glass, promoting Neptune Noir
- A set of our exclusive The Hunger Games buttons, districts 5-8, in a collectible bag
- A set of our exclusive Divergent Thinking buttons, with all five factions, in a collectible bag
- A set of our “nerd,” “smart,” and “geek” buttons
- A “smart” tote
- A limited edition Smart Pop Books fridge magnet
If you’d like to win your very own SDCC prize pack, just comment below. To make it easy, we’d love to hear what TV show or book series you’re hooked on this summer. (Contest details: We’ll keep the giveaway up through 8/15 and announced two winners by 8/18. You must live in the U.S. or Canada and be willing to provide your mailing address. One comment per person, please!)
Hope to see you next year, Smart Pop fans! And thanks for your support year-round.
Update: Randomly selected winners are D Schmidt and Christina Dutra. Emails to come.